Subscribe

Get KAFF News Email

KAFF NEWs on FB

Northern Arizona News

KAFF NEWs on X

Northern Arizona News

KAFF News Radio

On-Demand Audio

KAFF News Extra

On-Demand Video

Anthony Martinez Found Guilty Of First Degree Murder In The Starvation Death Of His Six-Year-Old Son

The father of a six-year-old Flagstaff boy, who died in March of 2020, was found guilty of first degree murder, and other charges, Thursday in a Coconino County Superior Courtroom. Anthony Martinez was also found guilty on charges of child abuse and aggravated assault against law enforcement in connection with the case. Six-year-old Deshaun Martinez was found unresponsive at his home back in 2020 and was pronounced dead at the scene. His parents admitted to police that the boy, and his seven-year-old brother at the time, were kept in the bedroom closet for about a month and denied food at times. They admitted the boys were being punished for stealing food by sneaking out of the house while the parents slept. Deshaun suffered from severe malnutrition and weight 18 pounds at the time of his death. Marcy, who has adopted the kids in the Martinez family, told KAFF News says she’s grateful for the support she’s received from many during the trial. She says, “I’m really grateful for just our community that we live in.” She adds, “all the love and support for these kids is what really held me up and kept me strong, and kept me on track.” The boy’s mother, 26-year-old Elizabeth Archibeque pleaded guilty to first degree murder and child abuse last year and is serving life in prison plus ten years. The boy’s grandmother, Ann, is facing the same charges and will head to trial in August. She has plead not guilty. Anthony will be sentenced June 28th in a Coconino County Courtroom. He is facing life in prison.

Subscribe >>

The Latest News Stories Delivered Direct to Your Inbox

Today's Snow Reports

Powered By Diamond Auto Glass