Fri, Dec 15 2017 - Sun, Dec 17 2017
Prescott Holiday Heroes blood donors will build blood supplies for the Christmas holiday week: the most difficult days of the year to maintain Arizona’s blood supply!
In appreciation, all blood donors will receive a voucher for a free Streets of New York 14” cheese pizza!
Fri. – Sun., Dec. 15 – 17, 12pm – 5:00pm Daily
Prescott Gateway Mall
What is United Blood Services/Arizona?
- Arizona’s largest non-profit community blood supplier filling the needs of nearly 60 Arizona hospitals
- UBS/AZ supplies 100% of Prescott and Northern Arizona blood needs
What is Arizona’s patient blood need?
- YRMC: Patients in Prescott area hospitals require approximately 325 transfusions every month
- Nearly 500 blood donors are needed every day across Arizona, even during holidays
- About 1 out of every 5 hospital patients needs blood
Are there any particular blood types you need?
All blood types are needed, however, type O-negative is always in greatest demand:
- Type O -: universal blood type that can be substituted in emergencies
- Type O -: required primarily by emergency/trauma patients, as well as premature babies
- Type O -: 6% of the population, but 100% of all transfusions
- Type O-: donors are encouraged to ask about giving a Power Red donation – helps twice as much!
Are there certain times of the year you need more blood?
Organization-sponsored blood drives provide more than half of our state’s blood supply. Many factors can reduce the number of blood drives and donors, especially during the holiday season
- High school and college recesses
- Short staffing at businesses during holiday weeks
- Donor vacations
What is it like to give blood?
- The entire process takes about one hour, but the actual donation is less than 10 minutes.
- Donor benefits: save lives, free mini-physical, find out your blood type/cholesterol level, enjoy refreshments, earn Hero in Me Rewards points
Who does my blood help?
Blood is separated into components so that several patients may benefit from one donation:
- Red blood cells: primarily used by surgery patients to carry oxygen and nutrients to the body
- Plasma: commonly used by patients suffering by internal bleeding
- Platelets: often needed by cancer and leukemia patients to help blood to clot and control bleeding
What are the qualifications for donating blood?
- At least 16 years old (parent/guardian permission required for donors under 18
- 110 pounds & in general good health (added requirements for donors under 23 years of age)
- Hydrate with plenty of water to make it easier to find your vein
- Eat a hearty, low-fat meal before donating to build your body’s energy
- Bring your ID & a list of medications
Where can I go to donate?
To make an appointment: 1-877-UBS-HERO toll free or www.BloodHero.com (Sponsor Code: GATEWAY)