Accused NAU shooter Steven Jones took the stand in his own defense Thursday afternoon in Coconino County Superior Court. Jones told the jury that at a party, he was “sucker punched” by someone, was called names and being threatened. He said he ran away from the apartment complex toward Mountain View Hall and was chased by “three-to-four people.” When he got to the dorm, he couldn’t get in so he ran to his car. Jones says he feared for his life, so he got out his gun and told the group to back up and he had a weapon. When they didn’t back off of him, he shot two people. Those two were Colin Brough and Nick Piring. He said the group continued to threaten him, so he fired again, injuring Nick Prato and Nick Zeintek. Jones said when police arrived, he surrendered and cooperated. Earlier in the day, Jones’ attorneys asked Judge Dan Slayton to drop the first-degree murder charge. Slayton denied the request. Jones is charged with first degree murder and six counts of aggravated assault for the October 2015 shooting death of Colin Brough and the wounding of three others.